Rob Light

On Thursday September 26th, Rob Light visited Syracuse University to talk about the music business and the ins and outs of being a Hollywood agent. Light came to SU in 1974 from Westchester and enrolled in the Newhouse School of Public Communications to be a journalist. He wrote for the Daily Orange and eventually became the concert chairman for the University Union. He then met Charlie Joffe (famous talent agent whose client list included Woody Allen and David Letterman) who told him that if he wanted to make it in show biz, he first had to work in the mailroom of a talent agency. Light did just that, working in a mailroom in NYC after graduating from SU. After only a week in the mailroom, Light introduced himself to the head of a talent agency looking for new employees and had an impromptu interview. He got the job and was soon promoted to agent and given the job of convincing the failing Bay City Rollers to cancel the rest of their pathetic tour. With his job on the line, Light went to the Bay City Rollers and tricked them into believing he was there to support them. He gained their trust and agreed with all their concerns and through flattery and promises of a remodeled career, he got them to cancel their tour.

After years of working at an agency called ICM and after turning down an offer of being the head of development of what would eventually become MTV, Rob went on to start up his own agency called the CAA. Today, the CAA has 1600 employees and about 9000 clients ranging from sports, TV, movies, writers and music. He works with the likings of Katy Perry and Bon Jovi and strives to do what he believes the role of a good agent is: nurture, guide careers, create opportunity, and enhance dollars for your client.

Rob Light was very interesting in that he shared his story while also educating us on the important things to remember when considering maybe one day being an agent. He gave the audience a multitude of advice that was very helpful. For example, he informed us that when looking for jobs in the market, it is important that you remember that “information is key.” He meant that if you are made aware of an opportunity that you want to take and are qualified for, you have to go get it no matter what. Although at times it can be ruthless, it is the only way you’ll make it in show biz. Another piece of advice he offered was that when working with clients, “listening is better than talking.” This means that you always need to be listening to the wants and desires of your client, the audience, and the fans. If not, you are not marketing your artist well and they will most likely fail. When looking for a new client, Rob Light told us that above all else, “content is king.” You need to find a person who is offering something new, original, and memorable. It doesn’t matter if they are likable and attractive if they can’t offer great content to an audience. Lastly, Light explained that when working with a music artist, touring is the most important part of their career and where they will make most of their money. This means that it is super important that an agent works extra hard to promote the tours of their clients and make sure that they go international to increase their revenue and the diversity of their fan base.

I truly enjoyed Rob Light’s presentation because he offered valuable advice through interesting stories of his own experiences. He showed us how easy it was to work your way up in Hollywood as long as you are driven and passionate about what you do. He taught me that I will face many opportunities through the duration of my life, but not to panic because if I continue on the path of doing what I love then I will definitely have a rewarding career. I feel like if I ever wanted to pursue a career as a Hollywood agent, his advice would help me lead a successful career. I am very glad that I went to Rob Light’s presentation because it opened my eyes to a career path that I never even considered and now I am extremely interested in the idea of maybe one day being an agent.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.